So we turned the heat off over a month ago in our apartment, and refuse to turn it back on. As a result, it’s been a bit chilly the past few days, especially with no sunlight to warm things up through all the south and west facing windows. So this morning I warmed up with a big bowl o’ oat bran. I nuked it with almond milk and a banana before topping it with crumbly pumpkin seed butter and raisins. An excellent bowl of oats to start off the day. Though I am considering attempting to add a little oil to the pumpkin seed butter to make it more….buttery.
That bowl kept me nicely satisfied right until lunch time when a pulled out a romaine salad topped with red pepper, cucumber, lentils, and asparagus edamummus. This was the best salad I’ve had in a while, the red pepper, lentils and edamummus together were awesome.
And because Caroline asked, I did make the hummus myself and it contains approximately 2/3 cup each chickpeas and edamame, 1 trimmed 340 g bunch raw aspargus, 1 T tahini, 2 T lemon juice, half a head of roasted garlic, and a little salt. And a trip in the Vita mix for an awesome smooth store bought texture my food processor has never given me.
In the afternoon I started drinking a purple monster containing frozen broccoli, frozen blueberries, and soft tofu. Unfortunately it didn’t taste very good because I threw in too much tofu and the berries have been in the freezer forever and had no flavour left, so I only drank about half of it.
Luckily I had also brought along a Chocolate Almond Fudge Clif Bar. My fridge was suddenly looking very barren after the huge veggie bowl last night. This is the first time I tried this flavour, and I wasn’t particularly impressed, probably won’t buy it again. It’s either too sweet or not enough chocolate, or both.
For dinner I fixed up another awesome stirfry, same as yesterday except instead of snow peas I found a bag of asparagus in the freezer, the last bag of frozen veg from my parent’s garden last year. In the mix was tofu, shiitake mushrooms, asparagus, sesame oil and teriyaki sauce. Along side I enjoyed a perfectly ripe, local greenhouse tomato.
Then for dessert, to make up for the dissapointing blueberry smoothie earlier in the day I enjoyed a Source Salba Blueberry bar. And it was delicious. It’s a bit high in sugar, but the agave nectar they use makes all their bars taste amazing. Perfect for the occasional treat.
And finally, because Amanda tagged me:
8 Things I’m Looking Forward To:
1. Going back to school in September
2. Going home next weekend for my mom’s birthday
3. Possibly going to San Francisco next year
4. Losing another 50-60ish pounds
5. Switching to summer hours and having Friday afternoons off again
6. A certain cake in a couple of weeks
7. St. Lawrence Farmer’s Market opening for real in the summer
8. Iron Ring! (and finding myself a good job/career afterwards)
8 Things I Did Yesterday: (yesterday was a pretty uneventful day…)
1. Spent the entire day at work happily occupied with real engineering work 🙂
2. Got off the subway and walked part way home, even though it was kinda cold.
3. Watched an episode of Bones.
4. Used my Steel Design Code for the first time in over a year (concrete dominates for sure).
5. Taught the roomie how to use the Vita-Mix.
6. Finished the entire crossword on the ride to work.
7. Walked under a series of roof slabs I had spent the day calculating that they failed under the current safety codes.
8. Ate a ton of veggies.
8 Things I Wish I Could Do:
1. Speak Mandarin (yes, I’m stealing it from Amanda, it’s technically my first language, but I mostly forgot it when I started kindergarten)
2. Magically lose 50-60ish pounds RIGHT NOW (right up there with winning the lottery without entering).
3. Run, but I’m working on it.
4. Have a small outdoor garden.
5. Figure out a thesis topis for next year.
6. Eat what ever I want without having calories matter (doesn’t everyone?)
7. Be better about keeping in touch with people.
8. Be more outgoing/sociable in general.
8 Shows I Watch: (in no particular order, and not all-inclusive)
1. Boston Legal (but it’s done now…)
5. Eli Stone
6. Project Runway
8 People I’m Tagging:
I’m assuming if this meme has found it’s way to me, most other people have been tagged already, if you want to do it, go ahead 🙂